Friday, March 27, 2009

This stinks...

I look out across our backyard, and I am starting to see a lot of green- it's still mostly brown, but the brown has a green hue to it and I am so excited to be closer to letting the kids play in the backyard again. Today i spotted some weeds that were getting a tiny bit tall, so i walk out across the squishy yard to pull them before they get even bigger, and i realize that the green i was seeing in the distance was really just weeds. my beloved baby grass is mostly icky baby weeds. And i know exactly what kinda weeds- tumble weeds!! this last year we had a ton of weeds growing in our backyard. They turned into big bushes, with pretty yellow flowers. So for a long time i left them. they were green and yellow and prettier than the brown dirt. and then they died, and dried out and detached from the stems, and rolled around our yard in crazy patterns whenever the wind would blow. It was really quite fun to watch, but now they were just as brown as the dirt so I started attacking them. Breaking them up into pieces to fit them in our big garbage can, using the shovel to shove them down farther, and loading it up several times. But those sneaky tumbleweeds- as I was "cleaning my yard" and getting rid of them- they were cursing me, leaving behind their seeds all over the place- completely unnoticed by me. Now that we have laid our grass seed and we are watering 3 times a day just like the package said- we are growing more weeds than grass!

4 comments:

Rogers said...

Yard work one of my least favorite things. Love the picture of all the family I have never seen it before! Love your blog background and great pictures of the family! Wow go Liz, 2 dressers go girl!
Chase, come on put those dressers together.

Anonymous said...

Quick, pull them before they have a chance to dry up and drop any more seeds.

Tara said...

I am sorry! Is there some kind of spray you can use?

Liz and Chase said...

Well, the weeds are still really small- they will get huge before they dry up and cause problems again so i won't let them get that big. And i am concerned with pulling them, since i have to walk across the new baby grass to get to them, and i don't think i should use any sprays yet since the grass is still so new i am worried about hurting it.