Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saving Money

So, it's been a goal of ours to save money and pay off debt. (i think it is a goal for everyone) However, the car getting wrecked and having to pay a bunch to get it fixed and living for a whole month with no car managed to throw that off big time. We had no money in savings, and I was using my credit card way to much, and not sticking to a budget at all. But I am changing that starting today! Yesterday I cut up my credit cards. I came up with a budget that I think I can work with, and I put all of the extra towards debt and savings. Today I did my shopping for the whole week. I filled the car up with gas, bought everything we need for swimming this summer, and bought our groceries for the week, and I only went over $2. (I bought a bunch of non-food items so tax was higher than I expected.) I thought that was really good. The only thing I didn't get was any food that was specifically for chases lunches at work next week. But I think he will be ok with scraping together lunches from food we have in the house. And he should be happy that his wife didn't spend all the money!

2 comments:

Brad and Ali said...

Way to go!
Ali

Elena T said...

Hey! Great job! I'm definitely in the same mode, we are cancelling our cable this week and lowering our internet down a tier and maybe cancelling the home phone. I recently read Dave Ramsey's book, which of course I can't remember the name of, but it totally kick started me and got me in the right frame of mind. I hate to "cut back" but I love to "fight" the debt.