Thursday, August 27, 2009

Soda Pop

So.... I really like soda,  a lot. Dr.Pepper, Pepsi (any variety)Cherry Coke, Mr. Pibb, even wal-marts generic Dr. Thunder.  And I know I am not supposed to, but I do anyways.  I know that it would be healthier for my body to not drink it- it is the source of most of my calories through out the day, and it would be healthier for our checking acount as well if i just drank water instead.  But it is not a recent thing- this is a life long love of yummy bubbly fizzy cola.  As a young child me and Nate would come running any time my parents would pop the tab- hopeing that we would be the one to "get the can"  that last tiny bit after my parents would pour it into a glass.  When my parents owned Clement towing,"the office"  we were often employed to stuff and lick and stamp envelopes- the reward?  2 quarters for the pop machine.  Another job was to fill the pop machine- i felt so proud that I would get the key and open up the huge door to the machine all by myself and fill it up with all the soda my mom or dad had gotten from the store in bulk- huge stacks of soda on carboard flats that seemed as tall as me.  It was a fine job for a hot summer day since the machine stayed running while you stood in front of it, leaning against the cold metal interior.  And the reward?  of course it was a can of pop.    Another favorite treat of ours was to go see Grandpa Clement at the garage- Clement motors that used to be on university and extension.  We would beg for quarters for the pop machine and the candy machines - (not modern vending machines, more like square gumball machines that had various candies in them)   I even vaguely remember the old soda machine that had a door to open and you pulled out glass bottles instead of  cans.  I maybe remember a debate of wether or not to get rid of it once the new machine for cans came in.   We also went for visits to grandma Clement at "the shop"- Paint-N-Things that was right next to "the garage"  (it's still in the same spot- but a new QT gas station has filled the garage spot).  We loved to go see grandma as she taught her painting classes and ask for a soda out of the fridge.  I also got my first job there- dusting the displays afternoons a week for 3.50 an hour- plus a soda. As i went through highschool and dealing with jobs in movie theaters and hard classes at school and drama with friends and boyfriends and my mothers scary health problems and surgery my senior year my dad could always offer me a hug and a can of pop at the end of a hard day.  So as I seek to honor the deal I made with Hannah, I am having a very hard time with this.  It is not simply a desire to have something yummy to drink on a hot day- this has been a love affair with soda pop from a very very young age.  It is a comfort to me, a reminder of my childhood and teenage years before I grew up, a reward for doing work, an offering of love just for being a grandaughter,  a little can of happiness.  It calms me, reminds me that everything gets better eventually, it helps me get through all the not as great parts of being a mom.  I know it may seem silly to some, but soda pop has been there my entire life and I love it- find great comfort in drinking a cold fizzy cola.  But to save money and honor the deal I made with my kids- and hopefully lose a little weight,  I am going to try and not have it anymore.  Wish me luck. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your parents were such enablers weren't they. they did you great disservice. Your dad is still addicted to pepsi!

Reynolds Family said...

Good luck! You can do it! I'm not a soda drinker, but I am so totally emotionally attached to popcorn. Ah, I love that stuff. Gotta have it! I admire you for your self-discipline! Keep us posted how it goes!

trueblue said...

This post was almost prose; your writing really conveyed the emotional attachment, which made for a fun read. I think everyone has their passion food(s). Your soda, Jen's popcorn and my ice cream are only the beginning. I'd even bet ol' "Anonymous" has a food that has 'em hooked-- maybe pickles. ;)

Best of luck!