Monday, October 11, 2010

Sticking to a budget

Saturday I woke up feeling so awful.  I had come down with this cold-flu-bug thing-  I don’t care what you call it, I just knew that I was sick, and miserable, and I wasn’t going anywhere.  So Chase did the grocery shopping for the week.  Not the greatest idea.  I have come up with a pretty strict budget-  pay the bills, leave a set amount of money in checking for groceries and gas and anything else that may come up for the next 2 weeks, and transfer everything else into savings for our Utah trip in December and Christmas.  I know it’s not an easy budget- I take a calculator with me shopping and add up every little expense, add on taxes, and I manage to leave just enough for my daily qt dr pepper.  I kind of feel like I deserve it for doing so well on the budget, and it keeps me from splurging on other things during my grocery trip.  Well….  Chase came home, put 4 receipts in front of me and asked me how he did…   He spent  86% of the 2 week budget in one single day.   I was hoping that this would gain some respect from him- that I really was doing good and was deserving of my 85 cent daily treat.  But no- he just told me it was the diapers fault.  And he wanted to know why I hadn’t potty-trained Sam yet. 

GRRRRRRR

So from now on- even if I am deathly ill, I will be doing the grocery shopping.  I took back the box of diapers and got the cheaper version of Huggies (2 less diapers and $5 saved) and pocketed the change for my QT drinks.   And I guess  it is a good thing  it is a self-imposed budget forcing me to be cheap.  The money we saved is just sitting in savings calling to me to be transferred back with just a few clicks of the mouse.  It wants to be spent.  I really wanted just to hide it and forget about it.

And I guess I can’t complain too much about Chase spending to much money- he is the one that goes to work everyday for me to have any money to budget with in the first place.

No comments: