Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Utah Vacation Day 1

We were headed to Salt Lake City, Utah for a Thurston family reunion that started on Thursday, so we decided to take an extra day to drive up and spend the night at Chase’s grandma’s cabin in Pine Valley.  Our alarm went off at 4 a.m. and we were on the road driving by 5.  And we made it as far as our neighborhood QT when I discovered that Chase got all the kids loaded up without having them go to the bathroom first.  Our very first bathroom break was 2 miles from our house.  We did pretty good after that though, we didn’t stop again till Kingman. Ever eaten at Wendy's in Kingman for breakfast?  Don’t, nothing we got was all that good.   pretty soon we were passing through Las Vegas and then eating lunch in St. George.  By 1 in the afternoon kids were having a blast playing in the old snow in the shadiest part of the cabins yard.   100_0388100_0390100_0393100_0389

That afternoon we took some plastic sleds and went in search of a good sledding spot… andwe didn’t have much luck.  Eventually we settled on a spot that was essentially someone’s sloped driveway that still had a good coating of snow on it that was at the end of the road.  There was no tire tracks in the snow so they weren’t in town, or they were just holed up inside watching us creepily.   Either way nobody came out to yell at us and the kids had a blast.  I forgot to take the camera with us, but here are the highlights-  Brad had a hard time bringing the sleds up the hill, he spent most of the time chaseing them down when they slipped out of his hands.  Sam loved going down if daddy would ride down with him.  The driveway looked straight, but it sloped to the left just a little bit and if we weren’t carefull the kids would go off to that side into the trees (Brad)  or slide right into the small ditch on the side of the road filled with water deeper than the tops of boots (hannah)  or catch on the edge of the ditch and flip them face first  into the snow on the other side (Bekah).  After that last scare Bekah would only make the last trip down if mommy would go down with her.   Nobody got really hurt, but when mommy was cold enough to go back to the cabin the only one that resisted was Brad.  and it was only a tiny little bit.    We got our jammies on, put our boots by the fire, and had a blast relaxing in the cabin as a family. The kids had their own room at the top of the stairs and had a blast going up and down and up and down.  Sam found a stash of cars that he absolutely loved.    The orange tow truck was his absolute favorite.  He played with it all evening, he took it to bed with him, and was very angry the next day when we made him leave it at the cabin as we continued on our adventure.


We had peanut butter and jellies and left over nuggets for dinner.  Then we settled in to wait for grandma and grandpa and Tara, Dallin, and Hyrum to get there.   The kids were so excited to be sharing the cabin that nobody wanted to go to bed.  Chase fell asleep on a couch, then Bekah, and I decided to call it a night.


Tucked everyone into bed, carried Bekah up the stairs, woke up chase enough to get him to bed,  shushed the kids several times,  sang them some songs, and finally everything was quiet.  I should have fallen asleep, I had been up since 4 am.  but I couldn’t.  I listened to baby Hyrum cry himself to sleep, and then I was still awake when he started fussing around midnight, and then I was awake when Hannah needed to go to the bathroom  at 1 and could I please go down to the bathroom with her.  Good thing I said yes cause apparently she needed to throw up too.  We made it to the trash can that time and found a bucket thing we could take upstairs with us incase it happened again.  And it did.  7 or 8 times.   The kids little bedroom had a comfy rocking chair that I camped out in till about 4 in the morning, rocking my 7 year old baby girl, dozing a little but mostly just waiting for her little relaxed body to tense up signaling that it was starting again.  Each time we would creep back down the stairs to rinse the bucket and wash up.  Chase finally woke up and realized I wasn’t in bed when I had been up for 24 hours straight and he took over sitting with Hannah.  And I had to shut our tiny bedroom door and rest with a pillow over my head to block out the noises and force myself to let someone else worry about my girl so I could sleep.  for 2 hours.  Then the rest of the cabin was waking up and it was time to start our day.  Dr Pepper and Tylenol was the first order of the day, then we slowly fed the kids and got all of our stuff gathered up.  Good things about Hannah getting sick?  She made it into a bowl or trash can every single time, so now mess to clean up and no linens to wash. We also managed to not wake up any other person in the cabin, when morning came no one had any idea that we had been up all night with vomit.  And Hannah had enough fun during the day that she remembers the cabin as a good place, not just the place that she was sick at.   Between 9 and 10 (I think, I was a little out of it from lack of sleep)  we were on the road to salt lake city.  With the throw up bucket.  It was snowing as we left, and the cabin looked so sweet.    goodbye red cabin that Bekah asked about everyday for the rest of the trip.  We will have to go back someday.


No comments: