Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

Ever heard of it?  It’s a fabulous, multi-state food co-op.  You put in you $15, they combine it with everyone else’s $15, and then they buy as much fruit as possible, get it trucked in to hundreds of pick-up locations and it is all split evenly between participants.   Did I mention it is not a business?  Everything is volunteer based.  the entire $15 goes towards fresh fruit and vegetables.  There is a $1.50 fee added on and I am pretty sure that goes towards costs of keeping up the website, and transporting all of the fruit, but for sure it is not making anybody rich.

100_0567100_0568  Some weeks are better than others. This week in my standard $15 basket (you can also pay extra to get an all organic basket)  I got: 1 lb. strawberries, a bunch of bananas, 1 cantaloupe, 7 Minneola oranges, 5 Braeburn apples, 3 lemons, 2 bunches of broccoli, 1 lb. carrots, 8 ounces of mushrooms, 4 orange peppers, and a small sad bunch of romaine lettuce.    Anyone want to go to the grocery store and tell me how well I did?   Meh, I think its worth it, and now that we have all of it we have to eat it and be a little healthier.  They also have “add-ons” each week,   extra products that cost extra.  I added on 5 loaves of Alpine Valley 9 grain bread for $10.  I love it, but the kids aren’t fond of “seed bread” and Chase thinks it’s a waste of money.  I will freeze most of it, and everyone else is forbidden to touch my bread.  It makes such yummy toast in the mornings.    They also offer bulk fruit or veggies (based on the season) other types of bread, tortillas, cookies,  I think they even offered pumpkins in the fall.  Its always changing each week,  and it’s fun to see what they offer.  If interested check out: http://http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/

They have the offerings up for order on Mondays and Tuesdays, and then pick up is on Saturdays.  If you do decide to try it out there is a $3 first time fee, to make sure the site you pick up from has baskets there to put your produce in.  When you go to pick up remember your own basket or box or grocery bags to transfer your food into.   Now I am going to go have a yummy breakfast of toast and fresh fruit!

No comments: