Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fruit Roll-Ups

A couple of weeks ago me and my husband had a pretty big fight.  like, not talking for 3 days big. We made up, and all is well. The most lasting thing from that fight is that I added $400 to our debt from buying a treadmill (not what started the fight, but it only made it worse).  I love the treadmill,  but the whole fiasco gave me a reality check on our debt amount.  I keep saying we want out of debt, but then I do stupid things like that.  Chase isn’t getting much overtime lately,  they increased our monthly premiums for health insurance, and I insisted Chase enroll us for dental insurance again,  and Bekah turned 5 and is no longer eligible for food assistance from WIC.  Meaning I have a smaller budget to work with and not much of a buffer zone if I go over budget.  I went to the store on Saturday night, got everything on my list, and went over by $20.  Not good, it means I have even less to get through the next week with till it resets at the next paycheck.   I got home and realized that I hadn’t put any snacks for the kids on my list.  Instead of stressing out I realized I could just make some.  I have stuff to make chocolate no-bake cookies sometime in the next week or so,  my kids love the “gorilla poop” but I am not thrilled with giving them chocolate for afterschool snacks.  Then I thoughts of my frozen strawberries and blueberries that I keep on hand for making healthy smoothies for my breakfast… when I actually feel like being healthy.  So yesterday I got out the blender and the dehydrator and the strawberries and got busy. 

Strawberries, a bit of sugar, and some water to thin it out. (with the lid on)

  100_0544

I spread plastic wrap over the dehydrator trays to keep the liquid contained. Then started the dehydrator.  It took a lot longer than expected cause the crack in our dehydrator seems to get a little bit bigger each time we pull it out of the cupboard.

100_0547

After the kids were sound asleep in their beds and it was to late for snack time, the fruit was finally ready to be rolled up.  I just start at one end and roll up into a long tube, then I use my kitchen scissors to cut each roll into 4 pieces.  I then store them in a air tight food container to keep them fresh longer.

100_0548

It’s a bit cheaper over all than store bought fruit roll-ups,  it has a lot more fruit, and even though I added sugar, I know exactly what my kids are eating. 

My kids love them, I love them, and I feel good that I didn’t spend any extra money on them this week. 

Today I am trying out the blue berries.  We have never tried that flavor before, so hopefully the kids like it!

No comments: