Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Price Matching

I enjoy participating in Bountiful Baskets, but I really hate doing anything early on Saturday mornings, and I although we got a lot of good produce we weren’t using everything we got.   I am not knocking the program at all- it does save a lot of money and puts a lot of nutritious food into lots of homes.  But I wanted to see if we could use the same $15 on just produce that we would actually use.   Our Wal-mart does price matching, so I saved all of our grocery ads from the Wednesday newspaper and looked for the best fruit and veggie deals.  And this is what I came home with:

DSC00609

5.53 lbs. bananas
3.53 lbs. navel oranges
2.05 lbs. seedless grapes
3.20 lbs. gala apples
3.00 lbs. strawberries

I made out with 17.31 pounds of fruit for 14.65.  And I know that my family will eat every single bit of it.  Sure, we probably would have gotten more with the baskets,  but I doubt I could get my kids to eat as much of it.

2 comments:

Kimberly Thurston said...

I agree with yo Liz another thought is can you eat it all before it's too ripe?

Ranee said...

Good for you! That's always one of the hesitations I have with buying Bountiful Baskets. We've tried it before, and haven't been able to get through it all before it went bad. :0)